Thursday, November 15, 2018

Juniper- The Therapist.


"Do you ever regret it?” 

“Are you asking if I regret leaving my friends in some mirror realm with a bunch of ghosts?” I ask though it came out more harshly than It was in my head. 

“That’s what you think you did.” Dr. Hertimo reminded. 

That's what you think you did. The words repeat in my head. I know I did. Unlike last time I can’t seem to forget anything. Those creatures… those poor people, my friends. What was supposed to be a rescue mission turned out to be a trap to collect more souls. Why I’m not sure. 

“Do you still keep the mirrors covered in your house?” Dr. Hertimo asked. 

I nodded, a bit shamefully. Many people have catoptrophobia, the fear of mirrors, but then again for most people its irrational. 
The doctor got up from his chair and went over to his desk opening a drawer. 

“I’d like to try something. I hope that facing your fear will help you realize that no harm can come from an unbroken mirror.”

Out from his drawer, he pulled out a handheld mirror. Walking back over he handed it to me. For anyone this little pink plastic covered mirror would just be another item, they use in their everyday life. As for me, it felt like a hot stone. 

I didn’t want to look at it, less hold the thing. The mirror pointed away from me and I dreaded what I might see on the other side. I could feel my heart starting to pound in my ears and I must have turned a shade of pale because the doctor said something. 

“I’m sorry what did you say?” I asked looking back up at what was no longer the doctor in front of me. 

Before me was a creature of wrongly twisted human characteristics. Thin long features from its limbs to the face itself. Distorted sockets where eyes should have been and a missing nose. Only small toughs of hair protruded from its head. Its head cocked to the left and began to speak, though its mouth remained closed, for better or for worse. 

“Poor child, all your friends are gone and you haven’t the courage to even move.”

Its voice was soft and raspy, like a grandparent on their deathbed. It rocked back and forth slowly as it talked to me, and if it wasn’t for my fear paralyzing me it would have sent shivers up my spine. I knew that even if I tried to speak back, nothing would come out and so instead I sat in silence until it spoke again. 

“You’ll see me again child, but only when your guilt consumes you.” 

I closed my eyes and when I opened them in front of me was the doctor again, like nothing had happened and as if no time had passed. I still held the mirror in my hands, facing away from me. After what had just happened I figured nothing could be worse.

I was wrong. 
-------------------------
This little scene is from the stories Second Site and Third Eye. It's based on my character Juniper Thrive. 
-----------------------


This is a little video I made for Third Eye, which sadly doesn't look like it will be finished. Either way, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment