Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Freia, Her Dilemma

"Do you trust she won't say anything?" Laron asks as he gets out of the bed. He looks around the room for his shirt and I point over to the chair by the desk and he thanks me.

"Yes, though I don't see why it would matter. You should know as well as I do we are becoming quite the talk of the castle." I say.

I crack the seal and open the letter. I can't help but let out a sigh as I read through it. just what we needed, another problem. Laron must have read my face because he asks,

"What is it, nothing bad I hope." 

I hand him the letter and let him go through it. he looks back and forth at me and to the letter. He paces the ground and honestly looks more worried than I feel. I get out of bed and try to stop him from worrying. 

"Freia, this is a declaration of war." Laron states with obvious worry. 
"Yes, but it's a declaration of war from a country that is poor, and as far as I am aware they have no allies." I try to assure.
"So we have allies?" he asks.

I pause for a minute and think about it. no... we don't. I don't even need to say anything because he gently grabs me by the shoulders and speaks quietly as if he were expecting someone else to be listening in. 

"You know as well as I do that Terrah has been plagued with wars. We need to think about this carefully, putting your kingdom into war isn't going to make you especially loved."

I tilt my head and smile at him. It's kind of him to be as worried as he is, but he has nothing to fear. I explain to him the idea I've had for years. With or without a war I've always wanted to unite the two other kingdoms that surround me, at least with the war I have even more of a reason now. 

"We'll need to prepare a carriage quickly, I don't want to waste any time." 
"Of course," he says, bowing slightly. 

He quickly heads out of my room and soon his footsteps disappear from the hall. I sit back in my bed for a moment and read the letter once more. The nerve of Tvenya, she only just reclaimed her kingdom with an iron fist nonetheless and now she forces them to fight a war they probably could care less about. 

I may not have lost everyone in my family, but I would think that would give me more of a reason to keep those I care for close to me and try my best to help those in need. I stand back up and put the letter into my desk. There is a knock at my door and the servent that originally gave me the letter comes back into my room. She closes the door behind her and I understand, it's time to get dressed. 

My breath is knocked short as my corset is tightened. Though I know this is just the beginning of what will be a long day. Before we make our journey southeast I'll have to write a letter to King Regores. I usually don't care for the rumors but I hope the ones about Quen are true. It may just help me persuade him to create an alliance.  

"I'm sorry about this morning ma'am."
"No worries, though I have to ask for you to keep it to yourself," I say back to her as she finishes helping with the rest of my clothes. 
"Of course, but if it's not out of line for me to say, your majesty, I'm glad to see you changing what the world thinks as normal and of course you being happy."

I turn around to face her and thank her kindly for her words and her help. She bows to me and leaves the room. I look over at my desk and go to sit down. I pull out ink and a quill and begin to write about my near entrance into their kingdom on urgent matters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment